Are apps that keep running in the background and take up precious resources bothering you?
Or are you running out of space? And thus you want to remove useless apps from your smartphone? Well, then you are at the right place.
Since Xiaomi phones come pre-installed with a lot of their apps, it’s essential to remove bloatware from your device.
But first, let’s understand-
What is Bloatware?
Bloatware is software that comes pre-installed on your device, some useful and others just there to take up space. Electronic devices come with apps for different purposes like monitoring system performance or managing accounts you’ve created in the cloud.
Learn more about bloatware from Wikipedia.
Since these services are provided by the company itself, they are critical to them, so it makes sense to include them. However, if you did not purchase the product, these bloatware apps would occupy up space on your device, slowing it down unnecessarily.
Smaller companies like Xiaomi cannot afford to provide so many services and optimize them for every possible device type, so they usually include some of their products in their software. However, since they do not have enough resources to support all devices, they often leave bloatware apps on the phone.
Besides slowing down your device, bloatware can also be considered annoying because it cannot be uninstalled and takes up space you could use to install other apps. But there is a way to uninstall these apps and get rid of Xiaomi Bloatware!
How to remove Bloatware in Xiaomi Phones
- Platform Tools
- USB Drivers
Before proceeding further, you need to Disable the following apps –
- App Vault
- Swipe up for google
- Wallpaper Carousel
- Find Device
- Mi Sync
#Step 1 – Preparing your phone
- Go to Settings > About phone.
- Keep tapping on the MIUI version/Build version until it shows “You’re now a developer”.
- Head over to Settings >> Additional Settings >> Developer Options or Settings >> System >> Developer Options.
- Check the box saying “USB debugging” and tap OK.
- Install Xiaomi ADB Drivers if you’ve not already done so using the above link.
#STEP 2 – Connecting your phone
- Connect your device to the PC now.
- Extract the platform-tools.zip. Open the extracted folder.
- On the extracted folder, Shift+Right click and click open the command window here.
- Type “adb devices” You will see a popup on your phone, grant authorization.
- Type “adb devices” again and ensure that it shows your device as connected and authorized
Note: If your device doesn’t show up, you might need to install the latest USB drivers for your phone. It usually happens automatically if you have an updated OS. If that’s not the case, then install Xiaomi USB Drivers from DriverNXT.
#STEP 3 – Uninstalling Apps
- Type “adb shell”.
- Type “pm list packages | grep ‘mi'”
- Type “pm list packages”
- Type “pm uninstall -k –user 0 com.miui.cleanmaster”
- Repeat Step 4 for all other apps that you want to remove.
The process of uninstalling bloatware is straightforward. Just follow our simple guide, and we assure you that within 10 minutes, everything will be done and dusted. If you think this was helpful, do share this article with your friends.