SharePoint vs OneDrive for Explore to Business
Businesses come in various sizes and shapes where team members might be local or spread around the globe. Anyway, they all require a management platform to keep their information organized and collaborate with the team.
Once you begin to explore the tools, many options are designed to help you work flexibly with projects, employees, clients, and tasks.
This guide on SharePoint vs OneDrive focuses on the powerful capabilities of both the platform and the things you get done with each of them.
It is a browser-based document management and collaboration platform developer using Microsoft. This enables the group to set a centralized space to share the information password protected if required. SharePoint content and documents are managed on-site, and the site owner has full control of permissions for the given SharePoint site.
The main aim of the tool is to enhance productivity and effectiveness by streamlining the accessibility of information. It uses web parts to represent information to the users with different modules managing different business cases.
What is OneDrive?
It is a Microsoft cloud storage that can be used for free or get a subscription for better features. Users just need to sign in with their Microsoft account credentials and follow the correct procedures to sync the files in OneDrive.
This tool allows you to sync, share, or backup the files stored on the cloud service using the Microsoft account.
- Users can collaborate on Teams, shared notebooks, create pages, calendars, and use the Office 365 group to communicate and manage tasks.
- Multiple users can get ownership and permissions for a single document. This gives better control over the projects as users are aware of the updates in the files.
- Allow permissions based on the role in the projects. This ensures that the data is secure , and no user can hinder the data without the right permissions.
- Users can create engaging site pages to organize the information in various categories. This will help to find the data easily.
Methods to work with OneDrive
- Sometimes you want to share the file with limited people and not everyone. It is a perfect source for people who work individually and want to draft documents that are not visible to anyone.
- Users can share the document with a like and edit the permission for each user easily.
- It is effortless to post a document from OneDrive to the Teams channel
- Save documents to OneDrive from anywhere and get it access on all the devices.
Let us look at some features that make them different from each other:
- It is also known as Microsoft’s original collaborative workspace. SharePoint is a document sharing and collaborative cloud storage solution that allows better management of projects. Users can create forms and dashboards, automate workflow, and more.
- OneDrive is a Microsoft cloud storage and syncing service that helps to keep your files in a secure place. Users can share them with other people and access them anytime from anywhere. This allows the user to increase productivity and provide better results.
- Microsoft has made SharePoint its original collaborative workspace to store, share, collaborate, and manage projects and tasks. The main part of the system is communication and collaboration.
- OneDrive is the perfect content collaboration solution for the Office 365 ecosystem. Users can access the cloud storage to share and collaborate with anyone part of the organization or someone outside.
- SharePoint provides collaborative cloud storage. In this space, you want to add documents for which you need to collaborate with others. Everyone in the group has access to and edit the document if they have the right permissions.
- OneDrive is more of personal storage. You can add documents and files that are only accessible to you in this space. Keep things private while you still have the choice to share the document with selected people, but no one will be able to view it until you provide the permission.
- SharePoint has some predefined rules and permissions for the files. There is a unique set of permissions for every file uploaded. This makes the platform more adaptable for team collaboration and secures sensitive information.
- OneDrive intends for personal usage. It is an online folder system that serves as a private workspace. This means your documents will be accessed and viewed only by the one that has created them.
- SharePoint provides additional control over the Files and data by letting the admin determine their accessibility.
- OneDrive provides the same encryption available in Microsoft 365. But this might not be able to match the file specific security features available in SharePoint.
6. Other Tools Collaboration
- SharePoint gives you the freedom to incorporate features of Microsoft 365 that includes Teams and Yammer. The admin can set team sites and add specific members to access the files and track the project.
- OneDrive works with Office 365 and helps to share files. But you might need SharePoint to make the process more convenient. This is more personal space to keep your documents on cloud storage for better accessibility.
Both the platforms have some amazing features to gain your attention. The HR SharePoint in making a huge difference in managing company policies and employees. OneDrive is used to store data and access it through multiple devices.
The final answer comes to the requirement when it comes down to SharePoint vs OneDrive. If you are looking for some basic storage and file sharing features, then OneDrive is for you. While in case you want some advanced management capabilities, then go for SharePoint without blinking once.