With the increase in data management in the world, data is observable from all over the world. With the increasing interest in surrounding NOSQL Business, organizations are taking new methods to manage the flood of data. These data are drawn towards alternate database management tools and systems which are different from traditional database systems. The open-source database is used as an unstructured document and language-oriented data template. MongoDB Atlas is a famous cloud database solution for contemporary applications available at the global level. It established the practice to deploy fully managed MongoDB across AWS, Google Cloud, and Azure.
This is the best in automation so far and it assures the availability, scalability, and compliance with the most stringent data security and privacy requirement. With its popularity and flexibility, various organizations are preferring Mongodb and they are hiring skilled certified MongoDB professionals. There are various online platforms, which are offering online MongoDB certification courses. It will help to enhance my skill set as a big data engineer, data engineer, developer.
MongoDB was created in 2007 by three people Dwight Merriman, Eliot Horowitz, and Kevin Ryan. They created solutions for the problems of scalability and agility that they were facing at DoubleClick. In 2009, the company moved to an open-source development approach, with commercial support and the provision of additional services. Before looking into the working process, let’s discuss the parts of MongoDB
- Drivers: Drivers are one of the important parts of any system and it is used to communicate with MongoDB. The drivers supported by MongoDB are C, C++, C# AND .NET, GO, JAVA, NODE.js, Perl, PHP, Python, Motor, Ruby, Scala, Swift, Mongoid.
- Storage Engine: This is an important part of MongoDB that is widely used to manage how data is stored in memory and on the desktop. They can have multiple search engines. So you can use your search engines or you can use the default search engine WiredTiger Storage Engine. The default search engine is efficient to work with your database like reading, writing, etc.
Features of MongoDB
- Queries: This feature supports ad hoc queries and documents based on documents.
- Index Support – Supports any field of the document that can be indexed.
- Replication: MongoDB uses native applications to store multiple copies of data. It prevents database downtime and it also has a self-healing shard.
- Multiple Servers: MongoDB database can run on multiple servers. If in case of hardware failure, data will get duplicated to foolproof the system.
- Auto-Sharding: Auto Sharding is a process of data distribution across multiple physical partitions called Shards. MongoDB has automatic load balancing features.
- Failure Handling: When it comes to outages, MongoDB is easy to manage. Huge numbers of replicas will give protection and data availability against database downtimes such as rack failures, multiple machine failures, data center failures, or network partitions.
- Document-Oriented Archiving: Uses BSON format which is a similar format to JSON.
How it Works
MongoDB works on two layers, the Application layer and Data Layer.
- Application Layer: It is also known as the Final Abstraction Layer. It has two parts, frontend(User Interface) and Backend(server). MongoDB is used in Frontend with the help of a Web or mobile, including web pages, mobile applications, Android predefined applications, iOS applications, and many more. The backend server is used to perform server-side logic. It also contains drivers or mongo shells to interact with the MongoDB server with a request to the query.
- Data Layer: In the data layer, the MongoDB server will be present and it receives the queries and passes the received queries to the storage engine. It stores the received queries. The storage engine is responsible for reading or writing the data in the files or memory it manages.
Why Use MongoDB?
Distributed Data platform
MongoDB can run on any new levels of availability and scalability. With no downtime and without charging your application, MongoDB scales data volumes and throughput. The technology offers sufficient flexibility in various data centers with good consistency.
Fast and interactive Development
A flexible data model with a dynamic scheme and powerful GUI tools and powerful commands quickly make developers create and evolve applications. So last moment changing business requirements will not affect successful project delivery.
Flexible Data Model
MongoDB stores the data in flexible JSON-like documents. This makes data persistence and combining easy. Application codes are mapped to the document model, making it easier to work with the data. Schema governance controls, data access, complex aggregations, and advanced indexing capabilities are in no way compromised. The flexibility gives developers less to worry about in terms of data manipulation.
Reduced Cost of Ownership(TCO)
MongoDB will help application developers to do their job in a better way. The operations team can also play their work because of cloud atlas services. When an organization runs on commodity hardware, costs are significantly lowered.
Advantages of using MongoDB
MongoDB was built for people building internet and business applications who need to evolve quickly and scale elegantly. Companies and development teams of all sizes use MongoDB for a wide variety of reasons. It is one of the demanded and most wanted databases in the world as it makes it easy for developers to store, manage and retrieve the data while creating applications. It can be used with most programming languages.
- The document data model is the best way to store and retrieve data in any programming language. This allows developers to move quickly.
- MongoDB is available in every major public cloud platform such as AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud. Through MongoDB Atlas in large centers through the Enterprise Advanced edition or free through the open-source Community edition.
- You can begin writing code immediately once you install MongoDB. It has a great user experience for developers.
- It has created a huge and mature platform ecosystem. It has a worldwide community of developers and consultants which makes developers get help easily.
MongoDB is a general-purpose database that can provide many benefits to your application development processes. It will help you to build applications with more future-proofing with its scaling capabilities and flexible schema. So why not give it a try right now with MongoDB Atlas?