The Union Public Services Commission sets the UPSC syllabus and conducts Union Public Service examinations. The exam is administered in three parts.
- Preliminary Stage with the General Studies -1 and Civil Services Aptitude Test (CSAT) exam.
- The Main Stage is the subjective part of the UPSC exam. There are 9 theory papers, including 4 General Studies papers, 2 Optional papers, 2 language papers and one essay paper. Language papers are of qualifying nature. A list of 48 subjects is given out of which you have to choose one optional subject. Any official language of India can be used to write the UPSC exam.
- Interview Stage, which consists of the candidate’s personal interview.
The exam syllabus spans everything from local language papers, Science, Social Studies, General Knowledge, Engineering, Accountancy and Commerce, Agriculture and Veterinary Science, All streams of Science – Biology, Physics and Chemistry, Economics, Geography, History, Management, Law, Philosophy, International Relations and Civics, Public Administration, Statistics etc.
Thorough syllabus preparation is required to achieve successful results in the UPSC exams.
UPSC Examination Syllabus:
UPSC Syllabus is different for different papers and is classified as follows. UPSC Exam 2022 syllabus has not changed. It has remained unchanged since a number of years.
- GS 1 Paper covers History, geography, and Indian Society.
- GS 2 paper covers Indian Polity, Constitution, Governance and International Relations
- GS 3 paper has Indian Economy, Science and Technology, Agriculture and Environment as the chief focus.
- GS 4 has Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude.
Preparation for UPSC IAS Exam
A thorough reading of all the NCERT materials is necessary apart from accessing past question paper banks, and repeated readings are required for preparing for UPSC exams.
Many online websites, such as BYJU’S Exam Prep, provide tips and material to facilitate your preparation for the examinations. Past question papers help you prepare for the UPSC exam, and they indicate the style and pattern of questioning, so you know the kind of questions you would be expected to answer in the exam. It will also help you review your preparation and analyse the quality of your preparation.
How can you download the syllabus for UPSC exams?
Many online websites like BYJU’S Exam Prep provide the syllabus, which can be downloaded easily in a PDF file.
Apart from the latest syllabus, they also provide a bank of previous UPSC exam question papers, various tips to prepare for the exam, mock question papers, lessons, and other helpful aids. You can also directly read the syllabus on their website.
BJYU’s Exam Prep also provides a helpful analysis of the trend of the pattern of questions asked in the previous UPSC exams.
This enables you to determine the subjects in an accumulation of questions and prepare for the exam accordingly. This analysis of previous question papers gives you a better understanding of the subjects from which they are drawn and the volume of questions in each subject. This is of great help in your UPSC examination preparation.
Is the syllabus for UPSC Exam 2022 changed?
The syllabus for UPSC Exam 2022 has not been changed and remains the same as the previous years’ UPSC Exams for 2021, 2020 and so on.
You can very easily access the syllabus for UPSC Exam 2022 from BYJU’S Exam Prep website online. The syllabus for the UPSC Exams is extensive and detailed. It would help if you put in a lot of hard work, preparation and planning to cover all the topics in the syllabus at least 3 to 4 times before the exam.
Stay Connected with Our Education blog.